Domestic violence: The statistics

On Behalf of | Mar 18, 2016 | Domestic Violence, Firm News |

It’s true that domestic violence is an epidemic within the United States, but it’s also true that many people are accused of being involved in domestic violence disputes without actually having committed a crime. Whether it’s someone trying to get back at someone else or a misunderstood situation coming to light, not all charges are accurate.

Domestic violence is not well controlled in the United States, but not all cases brought to the police are accurate or even took place in the first place. If you’re accused of domestic violence, it’s important to defend yourself by understanding what domestic violence really is and the facts about who it affects.

It’s true that women are more likely to be victims of domestic violence, and around 85 percent of all claims are made by women. The other 15 percent shows that it doesn’t have to be a one-sided crime.

Domestic violence doesn’t just happen once. It happens many times every day. Every day, three women are murdered by a current or former male partner within the United States. Shockingly, over 38 million women have been injured or experienced physical intimate partner violence during their lifetimes. Women who suffer from disabilities are more likely to suffer from this violence than those who don’t have disabilities.

Each minute, there are 20 people who are victims of these crimes. In fact, one in seven men will be victims of severe violence by their intimate partners. Another disturbing fact is that men who were exposed to domestic violence as children are more likely to perpetuate that violence later.

Source: Huffington Post, “30 Shocking Domestic Violence Statistics That Remind Us It’s An Epidemic,” Alanna Vagianos, accessed March 18, 2016


FindLaw Network